I purposed, before the birth of my daughter, to be the kind of mom I'd long wanted to be. At all costs. Unbeknownst to her, my daughter had thrown me a challenge. I needed to use my God-given talents and life's passions to be productive while still working around her needs and her schedule. Here are some daily adventures and small successes.

12/05/2011

Handmade Christmas homestretch


That's right. 20 days left!

And week 8 of the Handmade Christmas series.

A couple of weeks ago, I was desperate for your input on advent calendar activities. Inspired by your ideas (*thanks!*), I easily filled up 24 days with something special to look forward to. My daughter charges down the stairs every morning to open up the day's note.


The actual making of the calendar, however, did not go as planned. I had started the project, all my numbers cut out, and needing just one more colour of  felt, I took a trip to ye local fabric store. To my chagrin, they had a pathetic selection, and I resigned myself not to make something I didn't love. Consoling myself, I headed over to the clearance section, and found some sweet fair-isle fleece. 


I asked for 2 metres -- was accorded nearly three -- and headed to the dollar store where I'd see 24 numbered mittens all strung in a row. It would have to do. But really, I'm fond of their cuteness.


I jotted the activities onto square notepaper, folded them in 4, and created a patterned facade with the help of red and green wax crayons.


So over the next few weeks, we'll be making a gingerbread house, doing kind deeds, writing letters to the grandparents, reading mini-books about the birth of Jesus, and so many more little things.

As for the fleece fabric, it will serve me for a couple of photo sessions. But before long, I'll have 2 new blankets. All's well that ends well!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails